Home | About us | Contact us
 
       
ABOUT US
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
INVESTOR OVERVIEW
OUR COMPANIES
OUR BRANDS
REPORTS
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE
NEWS & HIGHLIGHTS
EMPLOYMENT
Our Companies
 
Companies by Industry
Companies by Country
 
   
Tel: (246) 430-5700
Fax: (246) 436-8934
Click Here to Email Us
 
Our Companies
Jonas Browne & Hubbard (Grenada) Ltd.
 
 
CONTACT INFORMATION
Contact Mr. Allan Bierzynski
Title Managing Director
E-mail abierzynski@hubbards.gd
Telephone (473) 440-2087
Fax (473) 440-4008
Address Jonas Browne & Hubbard (Grenada) Limited,P.O. Box 25,Grenada
 
 

A 35% shareholding of Jonas Browne & Hubbard (Grenada) Ltd was acquired by Goddard Enterprises in 2003. That shareholding was increased to 52% in 2012. The companys major operations include wholesale food, frozen food, retail food  two supermarkets  one in St. Georges and one in Grand Anse, building supplies, furniture and appliances and general insurance. They are also the agents for Peugeot, Isuzu and Daihatsu.

Jonas Browne & Hubbard (Grenada) Limited started operation in Grenada during the 1830s, the exact date is unknown. Around 1915, the business became a private limited liability company known as A. Hubbard & Company Limited. By the 1940s, control of the company was passed to the Browne family of England who also operated an import-export company in the United Kingdom under the name of Jonas Browne & Sons. In 1947, the two companies were amalgamated and the new company was incorporated in the United Kingdom under the name Jonas Browne & Hubbard Limited. During the late 1950s and up until 1971 the Company undertook a vigorous and imaginative expansion and improvement programme to take advantage of the changing pattern of business in Grenada. Key projects are listed below:

" The selling and warehouse areas of the Hardware and Appliance Departments were completely renovated. 

" The Administrative Offices (located on the Carenage and Matthew Street) were re-located to the upper floor of Middleton House.

" With the Companys appointment as distributors of British Leyland (then Morris Motors) a two-storied building was constructed on the Carenage to house the Motor Department.

" On December 1, 1964, No. 12 Carenage was converted into a modern supermarket - The Food Fair

" A 33,000 square foot warehouse was constructed at Grand Anse

" The Grand Anse Shopping Centre was constructed in 1970, and extensively renovated between 1991 and 1995.

In 1972, the Grenada Company was sold by the Browne family to Jonas Browne & Hubbard (Grenada) Limited. This local company was established by C F Toppin (Managing Director), L V De Gale, P G Hosten, W L Slinger, J D Knight, L Hughes and Dr. A Bierzynski. By 1978, the Company was able to offer shares to the public, attracting some 400 shareholders at the time. The shareholder total has doubled since then, and at September 30, 2000, stood at 855.

Today, the company stocks a wide range of quality goods sourced from all over the world, including the USA, Canada, Europe and the Far East. These goods include lumber, hardware, appliances, furniture, groceries and vehicles. The Companys gross revenues topped EC$100 Million for the first time in the fiscal year ending September 30, 2000.

Hubbards (as the company is familiarly known) takes pride in its reputation, and remains conscious of the need to try harder and serve customers better, earning trust and respect from those they serve, while appealing to everyone in Grenada, regardless of age or gender by offering good quality merchandise at a fair price. The Company remains committed to the community, supporting religious, sporting, cultural and educational groups.

Website Link: